Democratic Lewisboro 2017 Campaign
Overview and Information
The candidates Peter Parsons, Jane Crimmins, and Tony Gonçalves want to
- Find creative ways to broaden our tax base while still preserving Lewisboro’s small-town feel
- Protect our environment: The Lewisboro Town Board is your first and last line of defense against the extreme anti-environmental policies of the Trump administration. Peter, Jane & Tony are committed to keeping Lewisboro’s tough environmental protections (including wetlands protections) in place, and keeping our water safe.
- At the same time, they want to make Town government more user-friendly and solution oriented—including working to streamline the process for permitting to make it faster and easier for residents to navigate—while still ensuring that our environmental protections remain in place.
- Work to make Lewisboro more attractive to young people and families (also thereby raising our lagging home prices):
- Make getting around town easier (such as sidewalks in our commercial centers and bike paths).
- Improve our existing natural, recreational assets while publicizing them better to people inside and outside the community.
- Make sure that those interested in moving to Lewisboro know that it is a vibrant and welcoming environment for people of all backgrounds, and that our diversity is a valued asset.
Peter, Jane & Tony better reflect the values of our town:
- Current board members Frank Kelly & Peter DeLucia are self-proclaimed supporters of Donald Trump. Even when other New York Republicans were turning away from Trump, they embraced him publicly. We should not be represented by people who would proudly align themselves with the values of Donald Trump.
- How can we leave the protection of our water and wetlands to men who align themselves with an administration that doesn’t care about either?
On affordable housing
- Peter, Jane and Tony support affordable housing so that our graduates and seniors can afford to live where they grew up and raise a family. And so that people who work in Lewisboro–including our first responders, have a place to live. In fact, we know from North Salem’s experience that a large percentage of this housing is filled by existing residents and their relatives.
Supervisor for 6 years. During his tenure:
- He stabilized the town’s finances, turning a $230,000 negative fund balance to a current fund balance of $627,000
- The town also ended five years of no paving—adopting a road-paving program on town streets—while lobbying intensely and sduccessfully for the repaving of the State Routes (138, 121, 123 and 124)
- The town reorganized the Police Force, integrating three full-time officers with our part time force.
However, he has been somewhat hamstrung, as Republicans have a majority on the board. Electing Jane & Tony will bring a new vitality to the board—as well as a Democratic majority—that will allow Peter to achieve more for the town in a way that better reflects its values and priorities.
Jane is an educator and occupational therapist.
- She was inspired to get politically involved after the results of last year’s presidential election. She became increasingly involved in the community and was approached to run for Town Board, an opportunity she seized upon as a way to make a real difference in our town.
- Jane would bring a diversity of background and experience. She would also be the first woman to sit on the board in many years.
- As a forward-thinking educator, occupational therapist, wife, and mother of three, Jane has the skills and knowledge to work with others and back up her ideas.
- Tony, educated as an engineer is a technologist with a professional business accumen and would therefore add a whole new dimension to the Board. If we are to merchandise the Town better we need to capitalize on technology.
- Tony has lived in Lewisboro for 25 years and has been actively involved in the community during that time. Among his many community activities Tony is:
- A founding member and trustee of the Goldens Bridge Hamlet Organization
- A Past President (and current member) of the Lewisboro Lions Club
- A former T-Ball & soccer coach, as well as a Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts leader.
- A member of the Lewisboro Housing Committee
- Running for town board is a way for Tony to take his service to the next level